Thursday, August 6, 2015

Putting my foot in it

.... this  block swap party, that is
talltalesfromchiconia

I mentioned in my last post here about working on my blocks for F2F block swap, the brain-child of  Kate and Sue.  It works like this - there are 12 of us worldwide participating, and each month we make 3 blocks for The Chosen One....Kate had already drawn our names and assigned us a month.....the blocks have to be 12x12 finished.....one foot square and any design we like - the Freestyle part.  We all chose our colour schemes....everyone has chosen wonderful colours.... and each month someone receives 33 exciting squishy parcels in the mail.  We  make 3 for ourselves, and end up with 36 big blocks....instant quilt!  I have to wait until March next year for mine, but in the meantime, it's been exciting deciding on what blocks to make... lots of hanging out on Pinterest....and seeing everyone else's marvellous creations.

Esther from ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com/ was June's chosen one, and her colours were minty jadeite-blue-green/coral and mustard with a white, cream or light grey background. These are the blocks I made her.


and onto July....I was late sending these, so my apologies to Annett, July was an awfully busy month, throw in a few sick days, and the schedule went right out the window. *Spoiler Alert * for Annett, if you're reading, if you want to be surprised when your parcel arrives, you might want to look away now.  

Annett blogs at knettycraft.wordpress.com/  and was July's Chosen One.  Her colour choices were shades of orange/green/blue and a white background.  Here's the blocks I made...


I sent this extra block to Annett, it turned out too small and I thought since it's her colours, she might be able to use it with a border around, or as a cushion.  It's a disappearing 9 patch, a block I particularly like, and I actually made it twice !  I thought the first time I'd made a mistake with the cutting, but when the second one turned out the same, and I knew I'd been extra careful with my measuring, I turned to Mr Google for answers. Seems this block can't be made 12 inches, something to do with it being too difficult to cut the fractions of inches needed to make the original 9 - patch. So it was abandoned and I learnt something.

Up for August is Sue at desertskyquilts.wordpress.com/ and her colour choices are any combination of red, white and blue, and I've already made a start on these, don't want to be late again! If you'd like to see everyone else's blocks, go here to Kate's F2F page, and scroll down to the gallery.....an impressive array of blocks and all amazingly different.

I have this " extreme sports" quilt on the pinning table, it's for a little boy's birthday that's looming closer, so I'd better get back to it.....

.....till next time

7 comments:

  1. Goodness Nanette, I haven't been by for a while! You have been busy - I am always awed by intricate patchworks and quilting - which means anything that works in shapes other than just a few squares sewn together. [My level of proficiency] :-) Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline, patchwork is a funny thing hey?...cutting up fabric just to sew it back together.

      Delete
  2. Your July blocks are very pretty!!! I hope to be able to put the blocks together using your beautiful additions to my quilt!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, thanks for your kind words. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you put your quilt together.

      Delete
  3. Your blocks look lovely. I have been ahead of the game so far but just realized how quickly we are getting through August and I've only made one of Sue's blocks so far. I'll need to get a move on as I'm on holiday for the last week. If it's any consolation, I too made a block which didn't come out to the right size and I had to abandon it. Probably my fault though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn. I often get my sizes wrong, bit ad hoc with the cutting I think, but it's easy to fudge it into place for yourself or when making the whole quilt. All our skills are on display in this swap! Hope you've managed to finish Sue's and can go and enjoy your holiday.

      Delete
  4. Oh Nanette, I'm glad you're the one who filled in for us on this swap! I'm only just now doing some catch-up; it feels like I haven't been around for ages. Like you, I envy the more dedicated bloggers but can't seem to manage to be one myself! I'm lucky to get one post up a week these days. Your swap blocks look great; I'll be excited to receive some from you next month!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome