Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Beating the heat

Spring has skipped on by and it feels like summer is well and truly here, with temps in the low 30s C(80s F), so I've been walking Mirrhi very early, heading out as the sun lifts over the rim, and then working in the courtyard garden until the sun moves up higher and eats away the shade and it's too hot to stay out there.

I've been working on this patch of dirt next to the newly paved area, and under a very old, tatty pine tree.  I've since removed the little fence, it made the garden look like a cemetery plot!




Edged with stones instead....much better.


I found that nice old piece of wood on a vacant lot while walking Mirrhi, so lugged it home,  I like how it looks here, with an agave and a pretty nemesia tucked behind it.
Up close....rocks, wood chips and seedlings.
From the top of the driveway side

I've started to plant it up with heat loving colour.......this area gets sun all day from the north and then the west.......so there's cineraria, pig face and verbena here.  I'll continue this combination around to the other side as well.   Bromeliads will get some shade tucked against the tree trunk.  It's all heavily mulched with bark chips to keep moisture in and the roots cool.  I picked up a pair of big cement pots at the tip shop for $5, one is painted that soft orange, and the other's waiting to be painted. It'll go on the other side of the path, and they'll be planted up with blue/petunias and blue lobelia.

I have a day of sewing planned now, so until next time.............












13 comments:

  1. I like how you arranged the area. With the old piece of wood, rocks and plants the area has a very natural look.
    While you are getting ready for summer, the weather is slightly cooler here. The hot summer is almost over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that natural-it's-been-there-forever look too. You'll be looking forward to cooler weather, rugging up a bit. Do you need heating where you are, Nil?

      Delete
  2. Nanette it is heating up here too and will be 32C at the weekend. Anything over 25C is too hot for me. LOL! Not sure how I will survive another summer like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for a while we've been having cool mornings and nights, and that made the hot days bearable, but even that's changed now... I'm walking Mirrhi at dawn in shorts and a tee. We just have to adjust I guess.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Down here in country Victoria we haven't had a day over 20 yet. Although they are forecasting 21 for Saturday!

    Those cement pots were a great find at that price. They will be beautiful with blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to be still having cool days. I grabbed those pots just ahead of soe one else who had their eye on them, I'm looking forward to seeing them spilling over with blue.

      Delete
  4. Cemetary plot LOL

    Love the wood you found, I have pieces of driftwood Ive brought from the beach in my garden too. Its the wonderful textures and in your case, that superb shape! We have just entered autumn here and the nights are chillier and days shortening so our annual and perennial flowers are dying off. Its sad when that happens, but if Trump doesn't start a war and annialate us all, theres always next years flowers to plan for lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty pleased to stumble across that lovely old piece of wood. A neighbour up the road collects driftwood, it always looks so nice too. All our fingers are crossed that we'll be planting flowers next year and not pushing them up :)

      Delete
  5. Much better without the railings, and those pots are lovely, such a great idea to paint them. That piece of wood adds a nice organic form to the bed, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to better without the railing, amazing what seems like a good idea in your head but doesn't quite translate to reality!

      Delete
  6. You've achieved a lot in your garden Nanette! It's looking really good and I love your plant choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou Maria, I'm pleased with what I've accomplished, although I look around and see much more to be done. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ! I just discovered you ! I love tosee what other people are doing in their gardens ..you are at the other end of the planet Wow !....and I see that you love a bit o' stitching too ..I,ll be popping in from time to time :) Debbie x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome