Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Scrappy, yellow, crumby quilt

.........halfway there

I wrote about this quilt last post, and my dilemma with the outer border., and whether to use really cute chicken fabric, or bold oranges.  I did end up going off to my nearest quilt shop and bought some yellow spotty fabric.  


This quilt will be donated to Logan Fire House Support Group, who are based in south-east Queensland, and provide support and material goods to people who've not only lost everything in a house fire, but anyone needing help and support following a disaster.  As well as providing basics like toiletries and clothing, they like to be able to give a blanket or quilt to the kids.  So while I did like the chooks and oranges, I thought they limited who the quilt could be given to, and now an older child might like it as much as a younger one.

It's now under the sewing machine, being quilted.


I'm doing very simple wavy "eye-balled" lines, which soften the squares of log cabin strips. I found a nice soft cotton sheet at the op-shop, the perfect size for the backing.  I'm about half-way there with the quilting, but have almost run out of the top thread, so it's off to the local haberdashery shortly to get some more. 

I'm joining Kate and other scrappers today for ScrapHappy May. It's easy to join in if you love sewing with scraps, or just go have a look and be inspired by all the other lovely scrappiness on show. 


...till next time.

20 comments:

  1. You know, yellow isn't my favourite colour, but I think if someone gave me this quilt I'd be absolutely thrilled. It's gorgeous, and the choice of wavy lines of quilting is perfect :-)
    I'm still wondering what happened to my comment on this quilt's previous post: I suggested using both fabrics as a piano key border, but I suspect I typed it in and then somehow didn't publish it. Duh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pleased you'd be thrilled. No, not my favourite colour either, but it'll be a cheery wrap for a child in crisis. I like the wavy lines because they're easy lol. Yep, gave the piano keys border some thought, and probably would've gone with it if I hadn't found that perfect 2 tone spot. Don't you hate it when you write the perfect comment and it disappears, sorry I missed it.

      Delete
  2. a beautiful quilt, bright & happy!

    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina, it's always fun making scrap quilts and a surprise to see how they turn out at the end.

      Delete
  3. The only bit of sunshine I've seen today (or for several days) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no *sad face* Aren't you meant to be having spring? Hope you get to see the real thing soon.

      Delete
  4. Its lovely and will am sure be well received by whoever is given it. Seems like you've chooks in hand for another quilt then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin, it is rather nice considering it's a bunch of scraps and will give lovely snuggles to a traumatised child. Yep, chooks will be rustled up for something else I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful Nanette. Very happy cheerful colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call on the fabric for the border. This is going to brighten someone's day - and not just because it's yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue...the 2 tone yellow spot was a lucky find. I like to think of a little someone wrapped safely in it.

      Delete
  7. Looks wonderful Nanette, I do like you choice of border fabric, well done!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthea, I was so pleased I went looking for a different border fabric, it works so well.

      Delete
  8. It's lovely, Nanette. Really warming. I like the way you've given an op-shop sheet new life as your quilt backing too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, I've finished quilting it and it feels so nice. I love to op shop for nice sheets to use for backing, there's so many pretty ones out there.

      Delete
  9. Borders often take me to the LQS too. I like your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work, I always envy quilters and their talents but looking at gives me cozy feelings, thanks!!! Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to use your RSC blocks. I think you made a wise choice on the border for exactly the reason you stated. Someone is going to be very comforted by this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yellows and oranges make your quilt look so happy. It is sure to lift the spirits to whomever receives it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome