Monday, April 15, 2019

ScrapHappy on the Couch


Day 11 of languishing with dengue fever.  Of  body aches, axe-through-my-head- headaches, non-stop nausea, upper abdominal pain.....my liver fighting the virus ...and high fever requiring a stay in the emergency department until it came down to an acceptable level. Rest, paracetamol and lots of fluids is the only treatment. Molly kept vigil with me.



I spent the days in an odd fever/pain twilight. I drifted off to sleep as clouds come over and it rained.



Then woke to sunshine.



And was lucky to catch sight of an osprey perched in the tree out the back.......... 

waiting for lunch

By Saturday, as the wicked headaches and pain behind my eyes began to subside, I felt able to think about doing something other than sleeping, and gathered some books and stitching to have nearby, ready for an alert moment or two. 


Day by day, friends and neighbours came by and let the chooks out, locked them up again at night, made sure I had gallons of herbal tea and lemon water close by and took Mirrhi out for walks and games. She stayed close the rest of the time, and I often woke to this face close to mine, snoring gently.



So onto scrappiness. Yesterday I felt well enough to sit up and sew for a little while. I had been making hearts blocks for Christchurch.....I'm sure everyone has heard about the horrific terror attack on the mosques in Christchurch. Since then, quilters from all over the world have responded by coming together under the umbrella of Quilters Healing Hearts for Christchurch, making heart blocks and putting quilts together to gift to those affected within the Muslim community, as well as first responders and emergency services personnel. 

Green hearts were requested for the families who lost loved ones 

I had made these pieced blocks....6.5 inches unfinished .... before I took to my couch, but as there was no way I could sit at the sewing machine, but, upright at last, at least for short periods, I decided to make some appliqued blocks. It's been slow going, I still tire quickly, but have this little pile to show for my persistence. 


Coloured hearts for first responders, emergency services etc.


Joining with Kate and many others for ScrapHappy Day. Go check out Kate's blog and be inspired by what others are doing with their scraps.

It's back to bed for me, see you next time.

23 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor, poor thing, what a rotten time you've been having. How on earth did you pick up dengue? I'm amazed you've found any energy and motivation at all to do any sewing, but I do understand the motivation; anything rather than lying there feeling miserable. I'm so glad you had furry company and friends were taking care of the practicalities. I hope you're all better very soon. And your scrappy beauties are lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently dengue and Ross River are rife in the valley. I'm outdoors a lot,walking and gardening, and although I'm pretty careful....no standing water around....was just unlucky I guess. A mossie had bitten someone with it, then had a go at me next. It's been true slow stitching, a few stitches, a nap, but it feels good to be doing something. Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awful - I had to look it up living, as I do, in less tropical climes. I'm sure your furry friends were a big comfort to you as well as your two legged ones. I'm glad you seem to be on the mend and I admire your determination to carry on with your scrappy hearts which are lovely - I especially like the navy fabric on on top in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brief description doesn't come close to describing this dreadful virus! Yes, on the mend, although it's not a linear thing, my temp still spikes alarmingly and the headaches return, but there's still my comfy couch to retreat to. That fabric is an Aboriginal design, called Bush Dreaming of Utopia....Utopia's an actual Aboriginal community, north east of Alice Springs, not the perfect place of myth.

      Delete
  4. I have another friend in Central America who had the Dengue. It is wicked! Praying for your speedy recovery, and bravo for working on anything in your condition. Your hearts are beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for stopping by......'wicked' is an excellent way to describe dengue. Thanks for the well wishes and liking my hearts.

      Delete
  5. Goodness me, Nanette, I didn't realise you had dengue fever. I knew it was a problem in the tropics up north but didn't realise it was prevalent where you live. I do hope you recover soon but I know it is harder to bounce back when you are older. Your healthy lifestyle should help a lot I imagine. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we're pretty tropical down here now, and the mosquito-borne viruses are rife. I'm slowly on the mend, now that my symptoms aren't so acute, it's actually nice to sit in the sun, or the shady verandah, and slowly stitch, read or nap....old-fashioned convalescence. Thanks for the good wishes and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you a speedy recovery Nanette.

    Dengue is very common in Sri Lanka, and I know it can be very serious. In tropical climates, it's hard to avoid mosquitoes.
    Take care.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It is hard to avoid them, the mossie that carries the strain I have is a daytime mosquito, so not even the option of stayingin/covered up after dusk.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nanette, I thought you had stopped blogging and I'm so sorry to hear you have been so very unwell. I hope you are in recovery mode and being well cared for - thank heavens for our furry friends! Your hearts are beautiful and it is wonderful that you are taking part in the healing of Christchurch - and our entire Muslim community. Our whole country has been rocked over this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, no, not stopped, I turn up here spasmodically:) I feel privileged to be able to say 'thinking of you all' to all in NZ. I'm on the mend, thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  9. So sorry that you've been so sick. I do hope you're back to full health quickly! And your heart blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both counts Moira.....yes, I'm on the mend, thank goodness.

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear how ill you have been, and glad that you are starting to recover. I don't visit your blog anywhere often enough.
    Your hearts are such a lovely symbol of your care and compassion - I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It's been good to have an easy hand work project on the go to keep me busy. The response world wide from the quilting community has been amazing, and they'll easily get enough hearts for the 100+ quilts they're wanting to make.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry you've been suffering this way! I can relate to some of the symptoms you've been experiencing. I wanted to make heart blocks for Christchurch but am still unable to do so. :-( Yours are lovely. I'm so glad you have good friends and neighbors to look after you and your critters. Will be sending prayers up on your behalf now I know how badly you need them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the prayers and wishes, Sue, accepted gratefully. I'm on the mend now and feeling much better. What a shame you haven't been able to make any heart blocks....they're happy for appliqued as well as pieced, if that's easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dengue, that's certainly no fun.... Glad you are starting to feel better and are able to do some things. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a challenge, that's for sure. Thanks for your good wishes Emmely.

      Delete
  14. I read about you being unwell on Kate's blog and had to come by and let you know I'm keeping good thoughts for you. Took me long enough to get here, you might be completely on the mend by now. Hope so. Now that I'm here, I'll keep reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene, well-wishes are never too late, so thankyou for them. I'm not completely well, these mosquito viruses take forever to get out of your system, but I'm mostly tired now with little stamina. But on the mend. And welcome, it'll be nice to have you come and visit.

      Delete
  15. Yikes, that's a nasty one, Be Well (((Nanette)))!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome