Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A little progress

on the scrappy quilt for my son's partner's birthday.


I posted about this in my ScrapHappy Day post last month and so far I've made around 18 blocks, all at different stages.



The largest are around 8 inches, and that's what I'll aim for with the others, then it'll be time to step back and play with layouts.  The plan then is to add some more rounds or extra blocks to connect the colours....I have some scraps in pinky-orange and orangey-red that I'm hoping will work nicely......to end up with 10 inch blocks.


After I tossed aside all the yellow/gold scraps, and any of the others with white in them, I didn't have as much fabric to play with as I thought.  I didn't want to go buy any more fabric, so after a bit of thought, and a lucky find of some rose coloured dye powder......while looking for something else.......some of the not-quite-right pieces ended up in the dye pot.


Pinks aren't this bright, there's a lot of light coming in from the open door 

Initially I'd planned  to dip just the pinks, but then thought 'why not' and threw some of the reds and oranges in to see what I'd get.........and surprisingly it worked.......not pinky as I'd expected, but richer shades of the original colours.  Using the other side of some fabrics as well has given me a lot more options.

I've also been given a reprieve on the time frame to finish this, initially I thought L and R were going to India for Christmas, but that's happening in the new year now, so instead of rushing to get it finished and in the mail before they went,  I can take my time a bit and gift the quilt in person, as they're coming here. Much better!



that's it till next time, back to cutting and sewing.....

10 comments:

  1. Regarding the dyeing and using the other side of the fabric... you DID pay for both sides. It's OK to use BOTH sides. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative. I'd have never thought about dyeing fabric without buying more.
    The colors are so vibrant, it's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil, it's starting to come together and get the look I'm after.

      Delete
  3. It is looking good, Nanette. Lots of love going into that lovely piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel, I'm pleased with how it's going so far. Thinking now about making sure the graduation of colours happens nice and smoothly.

      Delete
  4. That's looking gorgeous, lovely luscious hot colours. Have you decided against purple as well as orange/yellow? I definitely think it's looking very Bollywood – are you taking the concept all the way and doing kantha-style quilting, or is time too short?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate....luscious is such a luscious word, describes my intention perfectly. No, no purples either, just the 3 colours. I've been thinking about kantha stitching it, will have to see how time goes, I'd rather have it done than be feeling stressed at the end.

      Delete
  5. That's a good idea dyeing the fabrics, Ive afew that could do with a colour wash to bring them out of the ugly fabric box lol The mix of reds, fuchia and pink is warming to the soul somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything to get fabrics out of the ugly box and into a quilt :) Lovely words...warming to the soul, thanks.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome