Sunday, April 15, 2018

Sunny yellow scraps

Only a little bit of scrap sewing this week, but enough to feel satisfied I'm keeping up with my scrappy goals.  Although I technically made 2 churn dashes, it counts as one block, since I made a nested churn dash.


I've always liked the look of these, and decided it was time to have a go.  Although I have plenty of yellow scraps,they're either long narrow strips, or small scraps, and not big enough to cut a good sized centre block, and so it seemed a good idea to make the centre a feature. The centre block is 4"square finished, and the total block is 8.5 "unfinished.

I  also made a start on some crumb blocks.



I felt I was getting a bit stale and boring with my scrap sewing, and browsing around the blogs featured on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Link-up, these Circle of Squares blocks on Kathy's Quilts Blog caught my eye, and so I made my first one this week......partly made as I haven't sewn the rows together yet. (pattern here


Kathy used the colour of the month for her backgrounds, but I didn't have enough of any one yellow to do that, decided white or off-white could be a bit ordinary, and then, having a good rummage, found some good size pieces of various greys that do the trick nicely, I think.  Kathy pieced her coloured pieces from crumb scraps, so I've tucked that idea away for next time.  Isn't Blogland wonderful for inspiration and ideas!

Linking up today with So Scrappy and ScrapHappy Day.  If scraps are your thing....or you'd like them to be.....check out these two scrappy links and you'll find lots of clever people doing wonderful things with their scraps.

.......till next time 


13 comments:

  1. Love all those sunny yellows; it's like a little patch of sunshine on a grey day. That Circle of Squares block is one of my favourites, and if you're doing F2F again, you can look forward to seeing me use it at least once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying yellow much more than green! The circle of squares is a nice block, my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great Nanette. The nested churndash is one I haven't seen so that's something new I've learned from reading blogs...as is the circle of squares. Most of my pins on Pinterest link back to blogs too. I have a ziplock bag of Liberty scraps that I think I will turn into crumb blocks some day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to learn from blogs! I look forward to seeing your Liberty cru,b quilt 'one day'.....I hope you have enough scraps to make one for each of your granddaughters :)

      Delete
  4. What a fun combination of colors. Digging around for new background colors is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've seen the circle of squares block before but I have lots of scraps pre-cut in 2.5 inch squares and strips so it will come in handy for when I need some 12.5 inch blocks again (Upcoming F2F comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen that block before either, I learn so much from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge link ups. And very easy to do.

      Delete
  7. How cool is the circle of squares?! Great idea & I love yours Nanette!
    Lovely yellows sewing... mine is almost finished too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's going to be a lot of circles of squares popping up all over. I'll come check out your yellows.

      Delete
  8. Oops not sure what happened to my Comment so I'll try again...
    How great is that circle of squares?! Great idea & I love the background you've used. Lovely yellows sewing... I've nearly finished mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your warm and yellows, Nanette. Such a sunny colour! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, it'ssuch a happy colour to work with.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome