Sunday, October 7, 2018

Rainy days and knitting


Days of rain and hailstorms have kept me indoors, although as I write this, the sun's shining brightly in a cloudless sky, so maybe the rain's moved on for now.  And what better to do when forced to stay in, than pick up my knitting needles.  As we head towards Christmas, Knitting for Brisbane's Needy, who I support from time to time,  have put out the call for thousands of little mini stockings that are filled with lollies for small gifts for the homeless and those doing it tough. There's always a great demand for them, and they are asked for from many charities across Queensland. My little handful will hardly make a dent in the numbers required, but so far, at least, there's half a dozen more  people who won't feel forgotten, come Christmas Day. 




I'll probably only knit these few, but I'll sew some in felt as well, as they're much quicker to make. 

For the first time, I'm linking with Janine of the Rainbow Hare for Wool on Sundays. Even if you don't knit or crochet, Janine has lots of pretty things on her blog......it's the place where she shares her adventures in yarn and fabric .....so it's worth a visit. 

Back out to the garden now, a perfect time to weed and plant, with the soil damp and easy to dig.

Till next time.......


14 comments:

  1. They are a lovely little gift, Nanette. What a thoughtful gift for others. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very quick and easy to mmake, and are good for using up scraps of wool. Such little simple things that make people feel they count.

      Delete
  2. Have fun in the garden Nanette. Nice to hear that you've got some rain. I read a lot about the drought in Australia. I hope things are at least a bit easier for farmers now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has been wonderful, and some of the really drought-stricken areas out west have received some. I had a lovely few hours in the garden.....and it's raining again now 😊

      Delete
  3. Hasn't the rain been wonderful? Yes it's that time of year again Nanette...mini Christmas stockings, so guess what I've been making too? lol Yours look wonderful and I love that variegated yarn...it's just perfect! I signed up for Say Littler Hen's knitted Christmas decorations...I may end up knitting some of the stockings for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can almost hear my garden slurping up the rain, it was so good to see. I thought you'd be busy making mini stockings too. I think I bought the variegated yarn at Lincraft a couple of years ago....much easier than knitting stripes! I'm in say Little hen's swap too.....would be fun(ny) if we end up making for each other.:)

      Delete
  4. These little stockings are lovely. I'm sure they will be very much appreciated. Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a little thing to make with a big effect.

      Delete
  5. Lovely that calls for these stockings are answered by you and others too.
    Hope the rain has benefited the gardens for you all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain's been great, we'll have more of that, but the hailstones have been so big...some golf ball size....that they flatten and damage everything.

      Delete
  6. The mini stockings are cute and a generous thing to do while being kept indoors by the welcome rain. Christmas is approaching so fast - I don't even know where September disappeared to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People get such a kick out of receiving these little stockings, such a small thing to brighten someone's day. A good use for wool scraps, too Lynn.

      Delete
  7. A lovely idea, and as you say, a great use of scrap yarn. I'm so glad some of the really thirsty districts got a good wetting. Of course, it means a lot more mowing....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got another good wetting again this afternoon....and I have a lovely man who comes regularly and mows for me, which is absolute heaven.....too much land here for me to manage.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome