Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Tying Down the Blues

or bowtie blocks update


I first posted about these blocks in this post for ScrapHappy Day. They're for a friend  who had a hankering for a blue quilt, so rather than she pay $300 for one, I offered to make her one from my blue scraps. I had made 12 back then, and try to sew a few every day, cutting some more each time, ready for the next session.

So I've doubled the number and have 24 now.  I'm not sure how many I'll make, maybe keep sewing until I run out of blues?  Although my selection has been added to with some blue scraps from a friend - long skinny pieces, rather than scraps though.  Some are a scant smidgeon off 4.5 inches, but since I'm sewing the blocks together, I'll make it work.


Here are the latest batch, just put up for the photo, and not arranged into any sort of pattern yet. 

Time now to stir this lazy hound and take her out for a walk before the forecast storm hits.....it's becoming a regular event to batten down the hatches before the afternoon's torrential rain and hailstorms swoop in.



10 comments:

  1. Lucky friend!
    Anybody looking less like they want to go for a walk I've rarely seen - although, if she's anything like mine, one word will have her up and raring to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she hears the jangle of the keys and she's up and away.

      Delete
  2. Oh bless her, flaked out there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hard life, isn't it? I usually store bits and pieces under that table, but moved them all out so she could sleep there, otherwise she lays right behind me and I don't always remember she's there....we don't want the old lady to fall over the dog!

      Delete
  3. Heheee the way your dog sleeps made me smile.

    Is the quilt going to be a big one Nanette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's cute, isn't it Nil. She always sleeps stretched out like that. I know the quilt won't be bed size, maybe large lap? I'm really enjoying the no-brain nature of these blocks, the soft colours, and easy sewing and haven't thought a lot about when I'll stop.

      Delete
  4. Lots of work there, and I think that's going to be a really lovely soft, vintage-looking blue quilt. I've always liked the secondary pattern you get from bowtie blocks. Give Mirrhi a tummy scratch for me, and I hope your walk wasn't too soggy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying playing with these soft blues. I hadn't taken much notice of bow-tie blocks before I saw Magpie Sue's, with the secondary circle in the middle, and really liked it. Tummy duly scratched and a snort of thanks. We were back just in time, chookies locked up and kitties herded inside, and the heavens opened.

      Delete
  5. I had to smile at your snoozy dog, Nanette. Our old Labrador, Sir Steve, spends much of his day sleeping but the moment anyone touches their walking shoes he is up and turning circles with excitement... he must sleep with one eye open because he knows! I think your quilt will look lovely...lucky friend! Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what Mirrhi was doing.....one eye and one ear open. She knows when it's close to walking time, and isn't going to miss out. Thankyou, I'm really enjoying making these 'no pressure' blocks.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome