Tuesday, October 16, 2018

ScrapHappy day - October

No waste - waste triangles 

I meant to post this ScrapHappy Day post yesterday, the 15th, but had a nap instead. So better late than never.

While browsing around on Pinterest, looking at scrappy quilt inspiration, this lovely bright block  caught my eye. It's from here and the maker used up scrap triangles to make the blocks, rather than hst and set them in an ocean waves pattern.

 


Seeing all those little "waste" triangles, the bits cut off the corners of hsts, reminded me I had some saved "somewhere" so went rummaging and found this lot. I hate throwing anything out, and save the hard plastic containers that berries and cake come into the house in (I don't buy ready made cakes from the supermarket, but friends do and bring to share) They're the ideal size to put those waste triangles in and stack neatly on a cupboard shelf.


Saved in plastic "waste" containers


Not strawberries, little waste triangles
 These purple remnants came from the op shop, and are the perfect colour for background blocks, as the small pieces will show up well against the darker mauve. I cut them into 4 inch squares and sewed a tiny triangle across one corner.

And ended up with these..........I could sew them together like little butterflies......


or into ocean waves like the red ones above.  I'll make a good pile of them before I decide. 


Knitting for Brisbane's Needy has put out the call for baby blankets to go to an organisation that supports young mums who are on their own, so I'll work towards it going there.

Kate and Gun host ScrapHappy Day on the 15th of each month, so go visit if you want to see what other scrappy goodness is happening around the world. So far there are scrap hexies, jewel box stars and zeppelins...... that's a tempting line-up and definitely worth a look. If you're inspired to join in, follow the link to either Kate's or Gun's blog and they'll get you going. It's easy.

The sun's out, and it's exciting, after not seeing it for nearly 2 weeks, but just for a little while, as there're storms racing in from the west, but plenty of time to get out in the garden and potter a bit, check out what's grown, what's been damaged in the wild weather, smell the newly blooming roses and sweet peas and maybe pull a few weeds. I've missed being out there.

So till next time............


15 comments:

  1. I love the idea of seeing them as butterflies, or maybe brilliant moths in the purple haze of twilight. Great recycling idea for the berry and cake boxes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, love the possibilities! Those little boxes are so great for storing little bits and pieces. Good for seed raising too, like mini-greenhouses.

      Delete
  2. Those pieces look so small. You are very patient to sew them into a beautiful pattern.
    What a great idea to use those plastic containers to store fabric remnants. I buy berries and grapes in similar containers, and I'm going to save several to store my quilt pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already working on ideas to get the quilt up to a good size without sewing millions of little pieces lol In the red example her blocks are 2.5 inches, that's patience! I find all sorts of uses for those plastic containers apart from fabric pieces, and I'm glad I've inspired you Nil.

      Delete
  3. I like this block...That's the "problem" with these Scrap Happy posts...I keep adding to my projects to try list. :D The purple background really shows off the small triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joanne.....it's hard to not want to do it all. I do the Rainbow Scrap Challenge as well, and seeing everone's rainbow project has me saying the same thing 'I want to do that' :) I'm thinking of adding a feature kids print as alternate blocks, to break up the purple a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely no waste at your house! Perfect use for those pesky plastic boxes and the little triangles look very good on the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very effective use for leftover corners/triangles. I have been saving those little corners for ages and not knowing what I wanted to do with them. Thanks for the hint! I have a bunch of hexies stored in a clam-shell box. Most get used for seed starting here. It never occurred to me to store my scraps in them too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynda, thanks for visiting....you made that great mountain block for Kate? It's a fiddly business, sewing those tiny corners, but like the example red one I showed, she made her quilt over a couple of years, it could be a long term project, leaders and enders maybe. I use mine for seed starting too, they make great mini-greenhouses.

      Delete
  7. I love that you keep your scraps in old strawberry containers! I think the little triangles do look like butterflies ... very pretty, Nanette.
    Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to throw anything out that might be reusable. Yes, little butterflies.....or moths....somethi g different to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever use of those kept bits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb....I hope so, it's a bit of an experiment at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too hate to throw anything out. I really like your squares with little coloured triangles. Would you mind if I copied it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cherie, it's always good to find ways to use even our smallest scraps. It wasn't my idea, I had seen it on a few blogs, so it's freely available on the web, so help yourself :) Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome